Monday 15 February 2010

Ch 13


13: Happiness

Janaka said: 

The tranquil state 
of knowing Self alone is rare 
even among those who own but a loincloth. 
I therefore neither renounce nor accept 
and am happy. 

The body is strained by practices. 
The tongue tires of scripture. 
The mind numbs with meditation. 
Detached from all this, 
I live as I am. 

Realizing that nothing is done, 
I do what comes 
and am happy. 

Yogis who preach 
either effort or non-effort 
are still attached to the body. 
I neither dissociate nor associate 
with any of that 
and am happy. 

I have nothing to gain or lose 
by standing, walking or sitting down. 
So whether I stand, walk or sit 
I am happy. 

I do not lose by sleeping 
nor attain by effort. 
Not thinking in terms of loss or gain 
I am happy. 

Pleasure and pain fluctuate 
and are inconsistent. 
Without good or bad 
I live happily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment